Coraz'n de Venado (Deer Heart) Marinade Recipe
June 07, 2018
This marinade recipe is intended for venison heart skewers, but would also work nicely for various wild game cuts
[caption id="attachment_31237" align="aligncenter" width="1366"] Allow the deer heart skewers to marinate for four hours prior to grilling. (Photo courtesy of PetersensHunting.com)[/caption]
Anticuchos are a Peruvian staple, street food made from chunks of meat marinated and served on a stick. While this marinade recipe was developed for deer heart, it works just as well with tender bites cut from the eye of round or other rear quarter roast.
Yield: Approximately 1 cup
Total time: 5 minutes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or 1 teaspoon ground cayenne)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
1. Combine all ingredients, except red wine vinegar and water, in a small food processor and pulse to form a thin paste.
2. Whisk the pepper paste into a bowl with the vinegar and water until everything is well mixed.
3. Add sliced deer heart or tender chunks of venison and let soak for 4 hours before grilling on skewers.