Anticuchos are a Peruvian staple, street food made from chunks of meat marinated and served on a stick. While this marinade recipe was developed for deer heart, it works just as well with tender bites cut from the eye of round or other rear quarter roast.
Serves: Approximately 1 cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or 1 teaspoon ground cayenne)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Combine all ingredients, except red wine vinegar and water, in a small food processor and pulse to form a thin paste.
- Whisk the pepper paste into a bowl with the vinegar and water until everything is well mixed.
- Add sliced deer heart or tender chunks of venison and let soak for 4 hours before grilling on skewers.