Spicy green chilies are the perfect pairing with elk, antelope, and other venison, and a long slow braise both tempers the heat of the chilies and turns tough meat tender. I love shanks for this recipe, but any cut of venison will do. It's especially great with neck meat, too.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
- 1 deer, elk, or antelope shank, bone-in
- 1-2 cups seasoned flour
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Hatch green chilies, roasted, skinned, and chopped
- 2-4 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ounce gin
- 4-6 cups of game stock (chicken or vegetable stock also works)
- 1 can white hominy, drained
- 1 can yellow hominy, drained
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup packed cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a 10-inch Dutch oven or large soup pot. While the oil is heating, coat the shank with the flour that's been seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Brown the floured shank in the Dutch oven, adding more oil as necessary. Turn the shank occasionally until all sides are browned. Transfer the shank to a plate.
- Sauté the diced onion, along with a pinch or two of salt, in the Dutch oven, adding more oil if necessary. Cook until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Lower heat and add minced garlic. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Return the meat to the Dutch oven, along with green chilies, jalapeños, cumin, oregano, gin, and enough stock to cover everything by one inch. Mix well. Raise heat and bring the stew just to the boiling point.
- Cover Dutch oven and drop the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more stock as necessary. Near the end of the cooking time, remove the bone from the pot and pull the meat apart with two forks. It should shred easily.
- Return the meat to the Dutch oven.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the hominy and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with warm flour tortillas.
The Essentials Gear Box.
Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season.