Minnesota Supreme Court Rejects Effort to Block Wolf Hunt
October 30, 2012
As Minnesota prepares for opening day of wolf season November 3, the controversy surrounding the once-endangered species continues to erupt.
Earlier this week the Minnesota Supreme Court rejected an effort by the Center for Biological Diversity and Howling for Wolves to stop the hunt from taking place. Despite their claims that Department of Natural Resources officials didn't adequately consider public opinion in the matter, Chief Justice Lorie Gildea thought otherwise, according to the Minnesota Star Tribune.
Plenty of Minnesota residents are apparently in favor of the hunt, as 614 leftover licenses were released and snatched up Monday after only two-and-a-half minutes. Fish and Wildlife director Ed Boggess said the demand for wolf permits has been strong and steady.
"We had 23,000 applications for 6,000 wolf licenses,'' Boggess told the Star Tribune, which includes applications for the early November 3 season and the later November 24 trapping season. Meanwhile, DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr praised the ruling for clearing up any uncertainty over the wolf hunt.
Minnesota is the second controversial battleground state for wolf hunting this year, following Wisconsin, where their season is already underway. Already there have been death threats directed at one hunter who shared a photo on Facebook of the wolf he killed in Wisconsin, while an intense debate has raged over a hound dog killed by wolves in October.