February 10, 2023
By The Editors
To ramp up your game-day goods, and add some wild game to the mix, take a gander at some of our favorite recipes that will sure to be a hit at your Super Bowl party!
Venison Sausage Rolls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes
- 1 ½ pound ground venison
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- Place the ground venison, pork, and all spices into a large bowl. Using your hands or a stout paddle, mix thoroughly until the sausage binds together. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors meld.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree
- Lay out a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured countertop and, with a rolling pin, press into a thin rectangle. Cut the pastry lengthwise into three equal pieces.
- Form a handful of sausage into a cylinder and lay onto the center of one piece of pastry. Brush one edge of the pastry with water and fold the dough over the sausage. Seal the edges with a fork. Repeat with the remaining sausage and dough, then cut each crosswise into four to six pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the sausage rolls onto the sheet. Brush with remaining egg wash and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
Venison Green Chili Recipe
Venison, green chillies, jalepeños and more are found in this delicious green chili.
- 1 deer, elk, or antelope shank, bone-in
- 1-2 cups seasoned flour
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Hatch green chilies, roasted, skinned, and chopped
- 2-4 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ounce gin
- 4-6 cups of game stock (chicken or vegetable stock also works)
- 1 can white hominy, drained
- 1 can yellow hominy, drained
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup packed cilantro, finely chopped
Get the Recipe: Venison Green Chili Recipe
Make this Venison Meatballs Recipe with ground venison or wild turkey
By: Scott Leysath, "The Sporting Chef"
Yield: 15 meatballs
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup ground pork or bacon
- ½ cup Japanese breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1. Combine venison, pork or bacon, eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well and form into golf ball-sized balls.
2. Brown venison meatballs evenly in a lightly-oiled skillet.
3. While the meatballs are browning, combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Brush mixture over venison meatballs once browned and cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.
The Essentials Gear Box.
Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season.