February 23, 2021
This recipe's cooking method turns tough cuts tender, making it a great choice for shoulder and hindquarter cuts from deer, elk and other venison. Bonus points if you use axis deer, which are native to India.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound venison stew meat
- Salt, to taste
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Ginger (thumb-size piece)
- 1-2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Chopped cilantro and yogurt for garnish
- Steamed rice for serving
- Cut venison stew meat into 1-inch pieces. Add cut-up meat to a bowl and season with salt. Set aside to rest while you prep the vegetables.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into chunks, about 1-inch pieces. Peel and dice onion. Dice jalapeño. Mince garlic.
- Heat a pot on the stove over medium to medium-high.
- Add oil to the pan and let it come to temperature.
- Once the pot has heated up, add the cut-up venison. Brown the venison in batches so as not to overcrowd the pot. Remove browned venison from the pot and set aside.
- To the pot, add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add some salt and stir the onion around the pot as it cooks, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add browned venison back to the pot and another pinch of salt. Stir.
- Stir in coriander, ground cumin seed, and turmeric.
- Grate the ginger into the pot.
- Add red pepper flakes to the pot and stir. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes, or more, depending on how spicy you want your venison curry.
- Stir in coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are done. The longer you simmer, the more tender your venison will be.
- Serve venison curry over steamed rice. Garnish with a bit of chopped cilantro and a drizzle of yogurt. Enjoy!
Watch More Episodes of "Fare Game"
The Essentials Gear Box.
Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season.