October 05, 2022
By Mike Robinson
Want to watch Mike Robinson cook amazing restaurant-style dishes from start to finish? Check out his show "Wild Fish Masterclass with Mike Robinson," currently airing every Monday at 7 pm ET on Outdoor Channel. Check Outdoor Channel's Full Schedule for the latest show times.
How to Make This Venison Loin with Ramsons (Ramps) and Bacon Recipe
For any type of venison, the maxim of “what grows together, goes together” almost always holds true. After a recent foraging day where we killed two deer and picked a load of wild garlic, I played around with the idea of combining the two. This recipe is the result. You will need a nice loin of whitetail deer—about two pounds and not too thick. Easy and delicious, and it could be done with lamb, too. This technique applies to any primary cut like loin, primal muscles off the haunch, etc.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 deer loin, about 2lbs., trimmed
- 30 wild garlic leaves, a.k.a. ramps (you can substitute spinach or sorrel leaves)
- 20 strips of smoked, streaky bacon
- Lay out several sheets of plastic wrap and rub with olive oil. Lay the bacon in overlapping strips, then lay the wild garlic over the bacon.
- Season the loin with salt and pepper and sear in a very hot pan until browned (I use butter).
- Lay the loin onto the garlic and bacon and roll up using the plastic wrap. Roll into a really tight tube, then double layer the plastic wrap. Put the loin into a zip-lock bag, suck out the air, and seal.
- Cook the loin in a pan of water that is just below simmering for 15 minutes. If you have a circulator or sous vide, cook at 170 degrees F. This sets the meat and starts it cooking. After 15 minutes, carefully remove from the pan, unwrap and place the loin in a roasting dish on a trivet and roast, basted with butter, for 10 minutes in an oven set at 400 degrees F.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes; then carve into pink, green, bacony slices and serve.
The Essentials Gear Box.
Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season.