Wisconsin-Style Venison Brats and Hard-Cider Kraut Recipe
These juicy, flavorful venison brats are cooked and served up Wisconsin-style – simmered in beer, finished on the grill, and served with hard-cider sauerkraut and quality mustard.
January 29, 2021
By Jack Hennessy
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 4 (6-inch) venison brats
- ½ green cabbage head, core removed
- 36 ounces preferred beer
- 36 ounces preferred hard apple cider
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- Slice cabbage into very thin strips and place in a large pot.
- Cover cabbage strips with hard cider, salt, black pepper, and malt vinegar. Add a cup of water. Set to simmer, stirring often until soft.
- Place brats in pot and cover with beer and mix in sliced onion. Set to very low simmer and cook thoroughly.
- To finish the venison brats, cook over a fire until desired sear is reached.
- Serve Wisconsin-Style Venison Brats topped with hard-cider kraut and a quality mustard. (For the love of all that is good – no ketchup.)
The Essentials Gear Box.
Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season.